That’s a cute title right there. I don’t care who you are. The Souper Bowl? Why hasn’t Campbell’s jumped all over that??
Are all the die hard fans rolling their eyes and groaning at me? Shawrry… I’m not the hugest football fan in the locker room. The Super Bowl is just another great excuse to let me stuff my face with pals, and yell at the T.V (even though I don’t know what I’m yelling about 63% of the time). BUT I am watching the game more than The Chef. He’s usually the one in the kitchen preparing more food and I’m out, yes, stuffing my face.
This turkey soup recipe has got to be one of my favorites. I crave it quite often. When I was still in high school/college I asked the “creator” of this soup (I’m not sure where she got the recipe) almost weekly for this. She made it every Souper Bowl (sorry, Super Bowl), and to me, it wouldn’t be the same without it. Maybe it’s part nostalgia. If it is, the other part is because it’s straight up delicious.
- 1 cup cooked Turkey- chopped
- 3 quarts (12 cups) turkey stock or chicken stock
- 3 large onions- finely chopped
- 3 stalks celery- finely chopped
- 3 large carrots- finely chopped
- 1/4 uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 pint half & half (or milk)
- 1/4-1/2 tsp onion salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp garlic salt or powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a sauce pan, combine onions, celery, carrots, rice, and 1 quart of stock. Cook for 20 minutes. Set aside. In large kettle, melt butter, blend in flour. Beat until bubbly. Add in milk and remaining stock. Cook and stir until smooth and bubbly. Stir in veggie mixture, turkey, and seasonings. Heat slowly.
- If the soup seems pretty thick, add in more stock (or milk, stock might be better), and add more seasonings if necessary. This is a great soup to freeze for left overs as well!
Do you have any non-stereotypical game time munchies? I want to hear about them!!
Comment below or send me an email!
And pleeeease, let me know if you make this soup, and if you put it in bread bowls, and if everyone loved it, and you just can’t wait to make it again… and send pictures.